Monday, October 3, 2011

The Horror Files: Vampires

Before I start let me say that I am every bit as much over them as you are. They literally refuse to die, but I am a devoted True Blood fan so I can't say much.     Here we go.
Nosferatu (1922): Stunning and iconic.  I strongly recommend this silent film.  It flows beautifully and for it's time it is pretty darn epic!
Dracula (1931): You can do better and you can do worse.  I definitely don't love it as much as Nosferatu, but it's worth a watch considering it is probably the most iconic image of a vampire.
The Lost Boys (1987): Lots of 80s awesomeness!  The Cory's and Keifer Sutherland!   Provides the perfect amount of gruesome that vampires should be associated with.  In summation, it's a cool vampire movie, but it's scare content isn't very high. 


Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992): Ugh.  I first want to say that the film art is stunning and Gary Oldman is genius.  I now want to say that I also can't stand the film.  It's loosely based (they added a lot and left out a lot) on the book, which I also cannot stand.  Most of the acting is bleh, and then there's Keanu Reeves.  Enough said.

Interview with the Vampire (1994):  I can't stand the book, I can somewhat tolerate this.  Tom Cruise is the film's saving grace and that's a mouthful.  My main problem with the film is that it focuses on a guy that is constantly complaining about his vampire life.  Shut up already I say!  Plus, he's in love with a vampire he turned when she was a little girl.  I know that eventually she matured into a more adult persona, but he inappropriately scopes her out  when she's little! Pedophilia much?  Okay this is my memory of the book, if it didn't make it into the movie I assure you the subtext is still there even though it's been ages since I've seen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment