Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Horror Files: The Slasher Film

Welcome to the Horror Files, where I shall briefly tell you about films in specific horror genres. I am not a professional reviewer, but then again what qualifies you to be one? Today we begin with slashers.
Psycho (1960): This is widely considered to be Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece.  It's scare tactics might seem silly today, but I will proudly say it scared me.  I don't scare that easily but something about Norman Bates, and what he does (I shall not spoil it) gives me the heebeegeebees. Unfortunately, the film also sparked Hollywood's obsession of women in showers.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974):  It almost feels unfair to comment on this flick because in all truth, I have never been able to finish it.  I always stop the film about 5 minutes after Leatherface is introduced.  This might seem like a bad thing, but I assure you it's not.  I think it's a compliment in fact because this film literally hits me on some psychological level.

Halloween (1978):  William Shatner mask! I'd like to think that Halloween is the epitome of the slasher film, it's got a great background story, teenagers, and the perfect masked villain.  And to me it is also the first shred of proof that the killer won't die!  You have to shoot/stab/run over/(other method) them twice!

Friday the 13th (1980): The one without Jason.  If you're a horror movie fan you already know that Jason as the killer doesn't actually happen until the sequel, and you also probably feel as I do, that the killer in this one is way more terrifying.  This film doesn't scare me so much anymore, but if you watch it you kind of smile to yourself that special effects and prosthetic makeup have gotten a whole lot better.  Seriously, the makeup in this film is pretty bad!  By the way if the closest town to the camp is warning you not to go to the camp, don't go!!

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984): Once again, special effects have gotten so much better!  I do admire the spandex walls however, that was just revolutionary.  The film still kind of scares me even though I know what will happen next.  The idea of a man who killed kids and then killed by angry parents, but haunts your dreams in the after life might seem barbaric, but it's a horror film, back off.  May I also point out that Freddy Krueger was one of the first killers to talk back.
Scream (1996): I will always have a place in my heart for this one!  The witty and funny dialogue, and its absolute knowledge of the genre is unbelievable.  It helped resurrect the slasher film in the 1990s but to me it will always be one of the first films to point out the rules.  It scared me as a kid, and although it doesn't anymore, I never tire of watching it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment