Wednesday, September 7, 2011

NBC Comedy Night

Yesterday was a huge day for the TV on DVD community. The majority of NBC's comedies were released. As a fan, you know I made the trip. Did I not mention I'm a fan? Let me get this straight then, I am a huge fan!! NBC gets me, and I get it; that's what I call love.
As it is September and Fall TV is right around the corner, I'd like to take you on a journey. Be warned, I will only be telling you about those shows returning, so if you don't see 30 Rock it's okay it will be back for mid season.
Let's begin shall we?


1) The Office:

Say what you will, maybe it's lost its touch over the years but I'm still in for another ride even if it means Steve Carell won't be at the wheel. Season 7 had some great moments. We got an entire episode of the epic Threat Level Midnight, written by Michael "freakin'" Scott, Andy performing in Sweeney Todd, and Michael proposing to Holly, even taking big steps to follow her in troubled times. I got my wish come true of who should take over Michael's post when he left. Seniority ruled for an entire episode and Creed Bratton didn't know what was going, and I'm pretty sure he used office headquarters for one of his cults. But best of all, we fans got the sweetest send off, Michael threw away his "World's Best Boss" coffee cup that he bought at Spencer's for a trophy that he actually earned. I love the cast so much that I am fully prepared for the 8th season, good or bad.


2)Parks and Recreation:

I give Parks and Recreation a lot of respect! While most shows fall into the sophomore slump, it rose to the occasion just like the Office. Even more impressing is that its third season is its best by far! I don't know what it is, maybe that Rob Lowe was never this funny, maybe that Adam Scott is a breath of adorable, snotty fresh air as he falls for Leslie! Maybe it's Ron Swanson, maybe it's Snake Juice. I don't know, all I got to say is that Parks has a lot going on, and they make it work. The cast is great as they all have amazing chemistry together and season 4 is going to be quite exciting as it returns for its second full length season, I say second because seasons 1 and 3 were mid seasons.


3)Community:

I've said it before and I will say it again. This is my favorite show on television. Why? Several reasons, including that I am a pop culture, movie junkie and this show is a blessing for that crowd! The cast is superb, each and every one of them have the talent and comedic skill to be allowed to grace the screen with the legendary Chevy Chase, and I'm even talking about it's amazing side characters. My favorite three are the wonderful trio of Abed (Danny Pudi), Troy (Donald Glover), and Annie (Alison Brie). Abed is the coolest guy from another planet because he's seen more movies than I've ever dreamed of, and yeah he's crazy cool enough to imagine a claymation Christmas episode. Troy is the jock that you'd never thought you'd meet, he's weird enough to be BFF with Abed and is Levar Burton's biggest fan! He's also a gifted cryer, YouTube: "Donald Glover crying" and tell me that it isn't hysterical. And what's there to say about Annie besides the fact that she actually lives the life of a poor college Jewish student, she's also a brown noser and a master attacker of chloroform. The best part about this show besides its wonderful cast? It's not afraid to be over the top! It knows how to do a good theme episode, including a spectacular Zombie meets Abba Halloween, claymation Christmas, Apollo 13 , Dungeons and Dragons, Pulp Fiction meets My Dinner with Andre, action, western, and Star Wars. Until I see anything greater I will proudly state that Modern Warfare is the greatest 22 minutes of anything that I've ever seen on television, it's just that great. It even had a two part sequel, and while I might still love the first one more, I think it was just as good. And don't even get me started on Dan Harmon, the Emmy's won't give him the respect he deserves but it's fine because he's got one of the most devoted fan bases on television. This is a very long paragraph about my devotion to this show, so maybe that's convinced you enough.


I don't know where you'll be on Thursday nights this fall but mine are, at the moment, NBC sacred.

1 comment: