Saturday, December 31, 2011

Favorite Films of the Year

I would first like to say that I do not get paid to watch movies and that is probably the reason that one of your favorites didn't make the cut.  With that said here are my 11 favorite films of the year:

11. The Tree of Life 
I'm really glad that viewers felt their minds blown by Inception last year, but that one didn't quite do it for me.  The Tree of Life, however completely blew my mind. It seriously rearranged parts in my brain and only put a few of the pieces back together.  This is not a film that I would recommend though.  It has that sad distinction of being a film that is not for everybody.  If you're a Brad Pitt fan then this isn't for you; I tried telling this to my mother who insisted on watching it with me and she didn't listen (she also didn't like the movie).  If you're a Terrence Malick fan then this film is for you! Those are my warnings for this beautifully shot film!
10. Crazy, Stupid, Love
I'm a Ryan Gosling fan by nature and I have to credit this film for making everyone else crazy for Gosling. Something in me thought that I really wasn't going to like it, but I'm so glad I did.  The film is hysterical and actually surprising for a romantic comedy.
9. Bridesmaids
This is not your average chick flick by any means necessary!  I repeat: THIS IS NOT YOUR AVERAGE CHICK FLICK! The caps were necessary.  But I should add that this will make you laugh a lot and it will probably gross you out just as much. Thank you Paul Feig!
8. Horrible Bosses
I know that I'm supposed to love Bridesmaid more, but something is amazing about a film that doesn't make me hate Jennifer Aniston!  And I also didn't cringe seeing Jaime Fox on screen (in recent years he hasn't been that funny to me).  Oh and Charlie Day is in this!  Charlie Day!  And it's extremely funny! Oh and Kevin Spacey!
7. Martha Marcy May Marlene
Elizabeth Olsen welcome to Hollywood!  That has to my top reaction after viewing this because the girl can act her patootie off!  Her performance was so unbelievably good that it almost makes me sick.  It's not one of those I'm going to cry a lot performances (or movies), it's a very understated one.  She completely immersed herself into the role that I didn't notice the bubbly personality that I had seen in interviews.  I recommend this film if you are open to films about cults.
6. Like Crazy
I'm still obsessed with the trailer for this movie! Obsessed I tell you!  The film itself was great too.  What really holds this film together is the undeniable chemistry between Felicity Jones and Anton Yelchin.  Together they are gold!
5. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
One of my favorite films of the summer is still one of my favorites of the year.  If you've seen it, please follow along as I say, ANDY SERKIS FOR THE OSCAR.  He deserves a nomination at best because his performance was riveting.  Stop motion actors are actors too and I'm hoping that the AMPAS will acknowledge that this year.
4. Drive
I cannot say that it was the year of Gosling without telling you about Drive.  Ryan Gosling delivers one of the best performances of his career and he does it with very few words.  Whatever you think about Drive before watching it will not be what you think about Drive after watching it (this is coming from someone that knew they would like it, but unexpectedly loved it). And director Refn is truly a Hollywood force to be reckoned with.
3. Super 8
I feel like I'm a very nostalgic person and that's probably why I love this film so much! It's a really fantastic film and I recommend it to everybody.
2. The Muppets
If you don't walk out of this movie smiling then something is seriously wrong with you! It's so fantastic, joyous, and I want to give Jason Segel a million hugs for helping revive the Muppets!
1. The Deathly Hallows Part 2
Once again, this is a personal list.  I'm a diehard HP fan and this film was my favorite of the entire series.  Alan Rickman also deserves recognition from the AMPAS for his truly chilling performance of Severus Snape!  He literally takes my breath away!

No comments:

Post a Comment