Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mr. Kelly & Mr. Astaire

For those not familiar with Fred Astaire, or Gene Kelly, let me introduce you to my pals.
(see they were even rocking the ironic 'stache before anyone else)

In my mind they are these glamorous gents that will come to my house for a fancy dinner as soon as I give them a call. Ok so maybe I never knew them personally, but when you watch these men sing, dance, or act, you just want to be their leading lady in the movie. That's right people these guys were triple threats, something that is now mostly seen on Broadway.


You may be more familiar with Gene Kelly for his epic role in Singing in the Rain. Story has it that he had a very intense fever while filming this dance routine and it only took him one take! In another movie he is also tap dancing while on roller skates! Seriously, you guys should youtube this if you haven't seen it.

Gene Kelly just makes my heart pitter patter, to me, he is the defenition of a gentleman. I mean, which guy does a four minute dance routine in the rain just because he kissed his girl?! Ok, I know this is just a movie but still, it was in the 1950's.


As for Astaire, his movies are said to have been a distraction for people in America during the great depression in the 1930's. He was such a little cutie pie. I mean he has tap dancing talents beyond belief, and in the film "Top Hat" he sings to his leading lady "Isn't this a lovely day to get cought in the rain". He sings this just because the rain has forced his love to stay under this town square thing and hear some of his sweet talkin'. Swoon! And of course they then share a lovely dance.

Both Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire just have this magical charisma that is so hard to find in actors nowadays. Their movies are just pure joy and love. They get happy with the simplest thing, such as getting a kiss, or being able to walk a girl home. Cuteness overload.

So when its a rainy day I highly recommend to find one of their movies on Netflix, youtube, or your local rental shop and enjoy it under a warm blanket. It will take you back to a time where life and love were simpler.


By: Mariela

No comments:

Post a Comment