Monday, November 14, 2011

Must All Great Shows Die Young?


Low Ratings. Not reaching the demographic. Blah blah blah.  I get why shows get cancelled, okay.  The sad thing is that it is always really great shows that get the axe.  In one sense, they all end well because the series doesn't drag on, but they would still be better than most of the stuff on television.  Think about it, My So Called Life was far better than Beverly Hills 90210 which lasted a decade.  People don't need to see thirty somethings pretending to be twenty somethings or thirty somethings pretending to be teenagers.  I'd have been able to take a few more years of Angela struggling to find her place, or keeping the guy that she really wanted.  Why? Because it was so well acted and so well written!

Must I mention Freaks and Geeks or Arrested Development.  The former practically gave birth to some of Hollywood's biggest stars (James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, do those names ring a bell?).  It had amazing guest stars and obviously they didn't get them because Judd Apatow or Paul Feig paid them great sums (I don't think they could have afforded it).  And let's discuss Arrested Development.  I'm sorry but Fox just did not promote it as well as their other shows.  And its competition? That's just another story about shows that overstay their welcome.

Let me also mention Pushing Daisies, which like the rest I have mentioned was critically acclaimed.  It started out great, but I think the network took a ratings slump way too seriously.  I don't think they really took into consideration just how good the show was, and it had a ratings slump for a reason (The Writer's Strike was going to do that).  In my opinion the show could have been saved and the strike ended more sooner if over paid actor's from other shows took a pay cut.

So obviously I am posting this for a reason.  My favorite show Community has been pulled from NBC's mid season schedule.  I'm on the verge of ripping someone's eyes out and crying from my own.  It isn't an official cancellation, but the rumor starts every season and this is the first time anything close to it being true has happened.  I just don't get it! The show has a dedicated fan base; I'm not saying large, but dedicated.  If the show ever did get extremely unbearable, I would still be watching and I think others would too.  But the show hasn't run its course yet, it isn't done telling its story.  Punish another show! I don't really know what to do, but if I get any more bad news I shall be sending paint balls to NBC.  I'm assuming the rest of its fans will too because us geeks will unite if you ignite a fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment